Thursday 16 September 2010

The Superannuation bill

A new e-action has been live on the PCS website for over a week now. This encourages MPs to attend a drop-in briefing on 12 October and also participate supportively in the debate of the remaining stages of the bill in parliament. Can I encourage as many members and reps to send this e-action to their MP as possible - http://e-activist.com/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=103&ea.campaign.id=5067.

Your letter will look something like this:


Dear Mr Ollerenshaw,

I’m writing to ask you to attend a drop-in briefing with representatives from my union, the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) on Tuesday 12 October about the superannuation bill, which is due to reach its report stage and third reading in October.
The bill seeks to cap redundancy payments for civil and public servants at a maximum of 12
months’ salary for a compulsory redundancy and 15 months’ salary for a voluntary redundancy.

This means that in the event of redundancy, my colleagues and I working hard in constituencies across the country will receive a vastly reduced compensation payment. Some of us could even lose as much as 50% of the payments that we’ve accrued during our time working for the government, which at a time of financial instability is a real concern to me and my colleagues.

The Superannuation bill, that the government hopes will be ruled as a money bill by the Speaker at third reading, to allow for a speedier legislative process, will return to the Commons in October for its remaining stages. The bill that the government has introduced will severely impact me and my colleagues in the event of a redundancy situation. With the looming comprehensive spending review I am fearful that spending cuts will be made which could jeopardise my future employment. Therefore redundancy payments being changed in such an aggressive manner at this time is obviously a
huge concern to me.

My colleagues and I are anxious that introducing this legislation as a money bill will not allow time for the requisite scrutiny and parliamentary debate and would ask you to participate supportively in the debate raising our concerns and oppose the bill.

This is a real concern to me and many of my colleagues and therefore as my elected
representative I would ask you to:
• Attend the drop-in briefing being held on 12 October between 12.30pm – 2pm in room W3 in the
House of Commons
• participate supportively in the forthcoming debates that will take place in October; and
• urgently request a meeting with the Cabinet Office Minister the Rt Hon Francis Maude MP

I understand the severity of the economic situation, however my colleagues and I should not be penalised. We do however believe that we should have our contracts honoured, especially as many of us have dedicated our lives to public service and don’t receive the generous salaries or pensions often quoted – in fact an average civil or public servant receives only £22,850 per year and a pension of £4,200 per year – hardly the gold-plated sums the media and many politicians state.

For more information please contact PCS on campaigns@pcs.org.uk or 020 7801 2820.
Yours sincerely


The public bill committee met this week and took evidence from civil servants, PCS members and staff and also from the CCSU. The remaining stages of the bill have provisionally been scheduled for 13 October in parliament and PCS are intending to also hold a drop-in briefing for peers the week before toensure they are aware of our concerns before it comes to them.